Sydney Uni Sport & Fitness can offer ongoing or one-off Wellness Programs for local businesses or University of Sydney staff from faculties/departments held at the Sports & Aquatic Centre.
Our multi-faceted approach focuses on training and nutrition. We work with participants to develop better nutrition and lifestyle choices through appropriate exercise sessions conducted by highly qualified Exercise Physiologists and elite athletes.
The program broadly consists of:
- A nutrition seminar providing education on every day eating principles for good health and food choices for improved energy, healthy weight and disease prevention in Week 1 (including food diary assessment).
- Participant pre-assessments including standard physical fitness screenings and qualitative and quantitative assessments of participant’s health and well-being in Week 1
- Typically, businesses complete a 6-week block of customised 3 x 30 minute or 2 x 45-minute weekly fitness sessions designed to raise the health and wellbeing of participants, improve core strength and posture, and complement the Sydney University Safety, Health & Wellbeing objectives (Weeks 2-7)
- Participate in post-assessments in Week 8 with individual and cohort results provided and a post-program survey.
- Seminars can be based on topics and content as agreed between the faculty/department and our Accredited Practicing Dietitian (Dietitians Association of Australia) and Nutritionist / Exercise Physiologist (AEP) / Exercise Scientist
- Typically the seminars run for 1 hour during a lunchtime and can be for small or large groups (venue permitting) and may take the form of one-off presentations or can be specific sequential topics
- Participants can complete a 3 day food diary pre and post nutrition seminar for review by our team with written feedback provided
- Classes take place in the SUSF Group Fitness room or Boxing Gym with a qualified instructor or instructors (employees of SUSF) in a safe environment
- The number of participants per block has ranged from 15-25 and block length is currently 8 weeks with pre and post assessments occurring in weeks 1 & 8 in a format of 3 x 30 minute or 2 x 45 minute sessions per week at lunchtime (but can be tailored to requirements)
- Sessions involve moderate – high intensity interval training to raise heart rate, strength and postural fitness activities
- Additional flexibility can be provided within our existing Group Fitness offering to enable participants to make up individual missed sessions
Comprise a qualitative and quantitative pre and post assessment1 as follows:
- A physical consultation assessment including blood pressure testing, height, weight, BMI (or equivalent), electronic body fat percentage components based on ESSA/Sports Medicine Australia/Fitness Australia guidelines and risk factors3
- A self-administered qualitative assessment focussing on lifestyle factors such as frequency and intensity of exercise, quality of sleep and general levels of stress and health
- Depending on requirements, the physical assessment can be expanded to include a Diabetes Risk Score, standard fitness and strength test protocols, postural assessments, cholesterol and glucose testing with other capabilities such vision testing
- Depending on requirements, the health and well-being assessments may be developed and set by mental health professionals using tools such as Depression, Anxiety and Stress Scales (DASS) to develop additional activities that will encourage more positive mental health (potentially complementing the program as part of a University mental health study)
- Post block results are provided to individual participants accompanied by explanations of each component and further information relevant to physical results
- Cohort pre and post block results are provided to the individual and faculty/department2
1 Results of the pre and post assessment are confidential between the individual participant and SUSF
2 Any significant risk factors arising at this stage will be referred to a health professional prior to commencement of the exercise sessions
3 Cohort results are presented in a format which does not enable individuals to be identified
- Complimentary use of change rooms, lockers and a 50m indoor pool is available to participants throughout the program
- Discounted SUSF member passes are able to be offered to participants to complement their Wellness Program within or outside blocks4
4 A minimum number of participants may be required for a discount to apply