Sydney University Swimming Club Junior members put in a remarkable performance in the Speedo Heat Series held at Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre on Saturday, February 6.
The club was represented by 42 swimmers with eight progressing through the finals to be held on March 13.
“The Speedo sprint series is conducted in all four stokes for swimmers aged eight to 13 only over the 50m distance,” coach Vanessa Smith said. “Our swimmers put in some very strong performances with 40 swimmers producing good personal bests.”
Outstanding swims by nine-year-old Lewis Blackburn and 11-year-old Angelique Barrett resulted in them becoming Speedo Sprint Champions for their performances. Lewis won the 50m freestyle and 50m backstroke in a MetSEA record-breaking swim, while Angelique won the 50m butterfly. Lewis also qualified for the finals in the 50m breaststroke and 50m butterfly while Angelique also qualified for the 50m freestyle.
Other medallists and swimmers progressing to the finals include:
- Jayce Carrano, 2nd in the 12 years 50m backstroke and 3rd in the 50m butterfly.
- Lauren McDougall, making her first Speedo finals by finishing 3rd in the 50m butterfly and qualifying in the 50m backstroke.
- Paige Burland, placing 3rd in the 12 years 50m backstroke.
- Cecilia Mafi, finishing 3rd 50m breaststroke and 6th in the 50m backstroke.
- Joe Howe, making his first Speedo finals by finishing 2nd in the 11years 50m breaststroke and 4th in the 50m backstroke.
- Cygnet Fairbairn, finishing 4th in the 9 years 50m butterfly to also progress through to the finals.
Well done to all swimmers.