03.07.2008 – Graham Croker
Sydney University swimmer Matt Jaukovic smashed the 50-metre butterfly record twice within 24 hours at the recent Metropolitan Short Course Swimming Championships held at Sydney Olympic Park.
Jaukovic swam 23.51sec to claim the 2008 championship. The following night he lowered the mark to 23.29sec, which ranks him 17th in the world in the 50-metre butterfly.
The Blues Association Sports Scholarship holder also won a silver medal in the 100m butterfly, where he was beaten home by Mitchell Patterson.
Sydney University was represented by 20 swimmers at the Championships. The team will now compete in a World Cup Grand Prix meet at Homebush early in July.
The Grand Prix will also feature members of the Australian Olympic swimming team who will be having an important hit-out before competing at the Beijing Olympics in August.
Other Sydney University finalists at the Metropolitan Championships were:
- Jono Newton 4th 50m freestyle, 5th 100m freestyle and 5th 50m butterfly;
- Sam McConnell: 7th 50m butterfly and 8th 100m butterfly;
- Alistaire Pickles: 5th 200m breaststroke 7th 100m breaststroke and 9th 50m breaststroke;
- David Wise: 9th 100m backstroke;
- Anthony Fine: 10th 100m breaststroke;
- Emma Gray: 5th 100m butterfly, 7th 50m butterfly, 7th 100m freestyle;
- Angela Hurley: 8th 50m freestyle; and
- Kate Johnson: 4th 200m butterfly.