Sydney University Hockey Club contested two grand finals in Sydney’s premier men’s and women’s competitions at the weekend but couldn’t come up with a title.

The men’s Sydney League 6 side finished the season proper as minor premiers, topping the ladder on 38 points, with St George-Randwick (33), NWS-BH (31) and UTS (30) making up the top four

Sydney University defeated St George-Randwick 5-1 in their major semi-final to move into the grand final, while NWS-BH defeated UTS 2-nil in the minor semi-final. They then accounted for St George-Randwick 3-nil in the preliminary final to move into the grand final where they defeated Sydney University 3-2.

Brad Del Frante, Daniel Grace and Alexander Perry scored for the winners, while Corry Allsop and Andrew Coleman goaled for the Students.

Sydney University’s Sydney League 7 side also made the semi-finals after finishing fourth on the ladder behind UNSW, Manly-GNS and Wests. They lost their minor semi-final 2-nil to Wests while Manly-GNS defeated UNSW 3-nil in the major semi-final. Wests accounted for UNSW 2-1 in the preliminary final but went down to Manly-GNS 2-1 in the season season decider.

Sydney University’s women’s Metro League 1 team also made it through to the grand final after finishing fourth on the ML1 ladder on 25 points, behind UNSW (37), Moorebank (30) and Northern District Strikers (30).

The Students drew 2-2 with Northern District Strikers in the minor semi-final before winning a shoot-out 4-2 to advance to the preliminary final. They drew 1-1 with Moorebank-Liverpool but won the shoot-out 2-1 to advance to the grand final against UNSW, who won their major semi-final 5-4 over MB. UNSW went on to win the title with a 2-nil result at Olympic Park on Saturday.

Sydney University’s Metro League 2 side also made the semi-finals after finished fourth on the ladder behind Moorebank-Liverpool, UNSW and Ryde-Hunters Hill, but they dipped out of the competition with a 4-2 loss to Ryde-Hunters Hill in the minor-semi-final. Moorebank-Liverpool went on to win the grand final with a 3-1 result over Ryde-Hunters Hill.