Sydney Uni Sport & Fitness recently partnered with the East Coast Squash Academy (ECSA) to create a fantastic opportunity for students and community members to develop skills, have fun and learn from some of Australia’s best squash coaches at the Sydney Uni Sports & Aquatic Centre courts.
East Coast Squash Academy
Founded in 2013 by Aaron Frankcomb, the academy’s vision is to reinvigorate squash in Australia. Aaron and his team of elite coaches offer a range of programs to help their students develop advanced skills, regardless of their current ability or fitness level.
Aaron was formerly World #38 on the Professional Squash Association World Tour and is currently ranked No.1 in the NSW Men’s rankings. He has 25 years of playing experience, 14 years of coaching experience and four years as the founder and head professional at East Coast Academy.
“Squash has been a part of my life now for over 26 years and through this journey I have had some amazing life experiences traveling the globe, competing against the best players on the Professional Tour and training with and learning from the best coaches in the world,” explains Aaron Frankcomb.
“We are the first academy in the world to provide local squash players a coaching methodology based on deliberate practice principles that until now were only available to Olympians, Commonwealth Games and international calibre athletes,” adds Frankcomb. “We’re thrilled to be bringing this to the Sydney Uni student body and local community.”
Coaching opportunities offered by East Coast Squash Academy at Sydney Uni Sports & Aquatic Centre include:
The pinnacle of East Coast Squash Academy’s premier service, players are coached on individual aspects of the game requiring improvement. Players will develop advanced skills to achieve greater mastery and understanding of the game, regardless of age or current playing ability.
Small Group Classes (maximum 6 players on two courts)
- Provides the perfect introduction to the basics of the game including swing, movement, strategy and an understanding of the rules.
- Includes intensive cardio work so players get the best mix of fitness and technique within a small class size.
- Different theme each week to build a firm foundation.
- Includes feeding, drills, routines and conditioned games.
- Expands on existing skills by targeting one aspect of the game at a time.
- Includes feeding, drills, routines, conditioned games and match play.
Clinics – Two Hour Sessions
The two hour session format accelerates learning and retention for critical elements of squash. Involving multiple players and focused feedback, the interactive session is designed to combine theoretical learning with practical application.
Short High Intensity Interval Training Sessions
Each session has a specific outcome with drills, routines and exercises designed to focus on specific skill/ability development. The sessions combine movement and technical development.
Why Play Squash?
- Burn up to 800 calories an hour
- Requires both physical and mental components
- Suits any experience and ability level
- Play socially or competitively
- Largest junior development program in the country (150 participants)
- Coached 5 top 10 nationally ranked junior players
- Coached 3 Australian Junior National Champions
- 4 NSW Players Ranked #1 in their age group