The Sydney University Football Club (SUFC) first grade team progressed to their eighth consecutive Shute Shield grand final with a pronounced 28-13 victory over Northern Suburbs on Sunday at the T.G. Millner Field.

The Students will take on grand final debutants Southern Districts on Saturday after leading 13-6 at half time, before going on with the job in the second fourty minutes to make the game safe.

The four tries to one performance was testament to Sydney University’s intent to run the ball to all parts of the field.

In other results over the weekend, Sydney University’s Colts program picked up two Premierships (Colts 1 & 2), with the Colts 3 side beaten by an enthusiastic Randwick outfit.

Colts 3 had a slender 5-0 lead for most of the first half, only to be dominated by Randwick in the second half. Unfortunately the young Colts 3 side were unable to convert their first half possession into points and were starved of possession in the second half going down 17-5.

Colts 2 were crowned Premiers with a convincing 41-7 disposal of Eastwood. They were given an early scare when Eastwood scored almost immediately from the starting kick off, however the team recovered and displayed some of their best rugby for the 2012 season. The team was disciplined and patient, taking their opportunities when they arose.

The nerves were evident in the Colts 1’s game against a vocal Northern Suburbs team and the team played well below their normal polished and perfect game plan. However, the team was able to capitalise on early momentum and turned their opportunities into points in the first half. The points were few and far between in the second half with the team having to defend their line on a number of lengthy occasions, before going on to win 27-15.

Two out of three of SUFC’s lower Grade teams progressed to next weekend’s Grand Final at Concord Oval.

Fourth grade, who have been strong and consistent throughout the year, unfortunately played a disappointing game on Saturday against Manly and were knocked out of the competition with a 18-10 loss at T.G. Millner Field.

Third grade survived at late scare to beat Norths 20-17 and will be looking to tighten up their defence leading into this weekend’s Grand Final.

Second Grade had a point to prove in their Preliminary Final on Saturday after being dusted up by Eastwood in round 15, beaten 41-10. The team combined well and walk away with a 35-27 win against the home side.