Sydney Uni triumphant in 2009 Kennard Cup

  1. Home
  2. Uncategorised
  3. Sydney Uni triumphant in 2009 Kennard Cup

Uni triumphant in 2009 Kennard

University put on a steely display last Sunday to regain the Kennard
cup for the first time in five years! Playing away at David Phillips
Oval, SUSFC beat UNSW Football 1-0 in the toughest of games after the
under 20s 6-1 stroll earlier in the day.

match started at a frantic pace with UNSW coming out the much more
aggressive side having the majority of the attack first ten minutes,
bringing a routine save from Sydney Uni’s keeper James Lowery.

Sydney Uni boys were not to be outdone and they hit back with
constant pressure from our front pairing of Christian Soares and
James Hardy, who combined well to force three or four corners in a
row which couldn’t be converted into goals.

the twenty-five minute mark Peter
‘Cheese’ Gavaghan put a delightful ball in Hardy’s stride who
struck inside the eighteen yard box onto a defender’s head to send
it wide of the post. Before the corner was taken Brett Townley-Jones
was replaced by James ‘Snippy’ Alcorn. Sydney Uni heaped
pressure on their defense from the set piece and the ball found its
way to Joseph Savor. lurking outside the box who hit the first time
shot low. The ball hit the back of the net to put Sydney Uni one nil

peppered the UNSW goal at will from then on till half time- the
Sydney Students could smell a win and went for it. James Hardy ran
into good space on the right hand side and rounded their defense
inside the box, with a low shot he beat the keeper but good defending
on the line saved a certain goal.

became frustrated with Sydney’s solid and disciplined display in
defense and their striker’s petulance showed when for the second
time in three minutes he took out Enzo Sensone from behind. The
second offence saw him get a yellow card but Sensone had to leave the
field of play.

Uni came
out after half time eager to match their aggressive approach with a
bustling display early in the second half. Fifteen minutes in James
Hardy was adjudged to go over the ball whilst he was closing down a
defender. He was subsequently sent off and a small affray followed
resulting in a UNSW Player being sent off the field for dissent. The
intense intervarsity rivalry was evident for all to see.

game opened up following the two dismissals and UNSW Game plan fell
apart as Sydney Uni’s midfield ran riot, the score could have been
4-0 by the end of play.

free kick from outside the box was taken by our Brazilian forward
Christian, his well-placed strike forced the UNSW keeper into the
best save of the game. Everyone including their players thought it
was a certain goal. Two or three very good chances fell to our
midfield and strikers with two shots cleared off the line by

no shots on target for rest of the game, the defense was well
marshaled by Simon Turner and Savor’s intelligent attacking from
left back was a constant thorn in the opposition’s side.

on field were
Gavaghan and Alcorn, both looking very dangerous in their first games
of the year. As they improve their match fitness they will surely
impress through the season.

mildly it
was a very tough game, played in good spirit (for the most part). The
better University won on the day.

Sydney Uni men play their next game against strong First Division
side Schofield
Scorpions on Sunday March 1st.

J. Caruana/ T. Bailey-Smith