Women’s Lions upset Fremantle in home opener

  1. Home
  2. Uncategorised
  3. Women’s Lions upset Fremantle in home opener

The Sydney Uni Lions women’s team proved their weekend win over defending National League champions Cronulla was no fluke, backing up Sunday’s performance by defeating visiting Fremantle 9-7 in the Marlins’ first game of their Sydney road trip.

Both teams were without key players for Tuesday night’s game – the Marlins were without Olympian Gemma Beadsworth, whilst the Lions continue to play minus former Australian U20 rep Emily Scott who is injured.

Once again Lions’ goalie Lea Barta starred with 15 saves including a penalty, whilst Keesja Gofers exploded into form with four goals. A fifth was denied thanks to a two metre call.

The teams were locked at 2-2 at quarter time, but Sydney Uni went three goals ahead in the third period before the Marlins – led by Olympian Glencora Ralph and current Aussie Stinger Zoe Arancini – staged a great comeback to even the scores before a Gofers goal left the Lions 7-6 up at the last change.

Gofers then scored a sensational backhand, which was followed by Gabby Wikman’s booming extra man goal that sealed the match for the Lions.

Sydney Uni coach Ian Trent was pleased his team backed up well after beating Cronulla on Sunday, saying “I was really pleased with our pool speed and the way we adapted to a different opposition.

We haven’t played much together so our attack is a bit disjointed but that will come. We also have an enthusiastic bunch on the bench, with far more depth than last year.”

The victory over the Marlins was the Lions second win in three games. Their only loss so far was on Saturday against Balmain in a shootout.

The return game against Fremantle is on Friday night at the Sydney Uni Sports & Aquatic Centre at 8.00pm. 

The Sydney Uni’s men’s team come up against Fremantle earlier in the evening at 6.30pm on Friday. The Lions will be looking for revenge after being narrowly defeated by Fremantle in a penalty shoot-out on Tuesday night.   

The Lions fought back after a disastrous first quarter, which saw them down 6-1 during the first quarter. Sydney Uni showed incredible fight to hit the lead (11-10) with one minute left to play in the fourth and final quarter. Unfortunately they were unable to hold on and were eventually defeated 4-3 in the penalty shoot-out.

It was the Lions first loss of the season. Sydney Uni’s Thomas Kearns was the star for the Lion’s scoring five goals.