The Sydney University “Students” will be out to avenge their Round 5 loss to the “Rebels” of Southern Districts when the two sides clash this weekend in the last round of the regular Sydney Grade Rugby season.
Coming off consecutive losses to Manly and Eastwood, expect the Students to be fired up to register a win and take some winning momentum into the 2012 Finals Series.
“Southern Districts have been strong all season and certainly have the ability to put points on the board, evident in them averaging over 32 points per game”, said Sydney University Head Coach Todd Louden.
“Although we didn’t finish on the right side of the scoreboard in our last match against Eastwood, it was an improved performance to the week prior and we’ll be looking to build on this platform against Southern Districts”.
Sydney University and Southern Districts have built up a strong and healthy rivalry over the last few years, and this Round 16 clash between the 3rd and 4th placed teams will again be a great battle.
Tim Davidson will captain the 1st Grade side for the 100th time on Saturday. Since taking over the leadership reigns in 2005, Tim has achieved a phenomenal 91% winning success rate as skipper.
With all Sydney University lower Grade teams currently sitting in 1st place, the opportunity exists for the Students to secure 3 of the 4 Grade minor premierships. This is on top of all three Sydney University Colts teams winning their respective minor premierships last weekend.
This Saturday, the Club will also farewell three extremely popular Clubmen who have provided superb service to Sydney University before they continue their rugby overseas:
• Dean Mumm – played in all six 1st Grade premierships of 2005 to 2010
• Daniel Halangahu – played in the five 1st Grade premierships of 2005 to 2009 and was an assistant coach in 2010
• Jono Jenkins – played in the two 1st Grade premierships of 2009 and 2010
Away from the playing field, the hugely popular SUFC Ladies Day will also be held this weekend and promises to once more be an event not to be missed.
GRADE GAMES*: ROUND 16 – Saturday 18th August (University No.1 Oval)
– 4th Grade vs Southern Districts 10.45am
– 3rd Grade vs Southern Districts 12.00pm
– 2nd Grade vs Southern Districts 1.15pm
– 1st Grade vs Southern Districts 2.50pm
* Please note all Grade Games are commencing 10 minutes earlier than usual times to allow people the opportunity to watch the Wallabies vs All Blacks Bledisloe Cup fixture.
COLTS GAMES: SEMI FINALS WEEK 1 – Saturday 18th August (Forshaw Park, Sylvania)
– Colts 3 (No game this weekend)
– Colts 2 vs Northern Suburbs 11.30am
– Colts 1 vs Northern Suburbs 3.00pm