The Sydney University Premier men’s hockey team disposed of UTS 5-2 last weekend despite a poor start.

With Dougal Alexander pulling out of the game the day before with an illness, Sydney University were forced to start Mark Crennan at fullback, a position he hadn’t played in for three years.

UTS scored in the first 10 minutes of the game, after creating a number of chances. It was clear that it was going to take some time for the fullbacks to become familiar with each other’s game.

Sam Lobsey was solid again, after making a move to Left Half. Together with Brendan Purser, Mark Crennan and Brendan Pryke (who filled in), the back four started to gel, and were breaking down a number of dangerous UTS attacking raids.

Sydney University had a lot of ball in the attacking third in the last part of the first half, but were unable to convert any of these chances into goals. The boys went in 1 nil down at the break, desperate to take advantage of some of the chances they were creating to get themselves back into the match.

After 10 minutes of end to end hockey, Sydney Uni got the breakthrough when Tom Lobsey scored after some slick passing in the midfield. A second University goal came shortly thereafter, when Peter Kelly managed to get away from his man to receive in the circle unmarked. He turned and calmly slotted the ball into the net, putting the Uni boys in front for the first time in the match.

From here the group played some of their best and most entertaining hockey of the year, laying on another three goals in quick succession. First Sam Lobsey scored from a Penalty Corner, before Rhys Gray opened his account for the year, with his first ever tomahawk goal on his reverse.

Sydney University’s Spanish import Neel Garcia, scored his second goal for the year with a tidy deflection to put the blue and gold’s 5-1 up.

A late consolation goal to UTS, with two minutes left on the clock, did little to damped the spirits of the group, who were happy with putting together close to 70 minutes of quality hockey.

With four rounds to go, three further wins will get the group to 30 points, a goal the group feel is very achievable.

1st Grade – defeated UTS 5-2.
Goal scorers; Peter Kelly, Tom Lobsey, Rhys Gray, Neel Garcia and Sam Lobsey.

2nd Grade – defeated by UTS 4-0.
3rd Grade – defeated Manly 2-1.
4th Grade – defeated Manly 1 -0.

The women’s sides had a bye.